Kathy didn’t win her fight against cancer but, with your help, others will.
Dr Brendan Kennedy
Laboratory Head, Bioimaging Research and Innovation for Translational Engineering
T: +61 8 6151 1085
Dr Kennedy is Head of the Bioimaging Research and Innovation for Translational Engineering Lab (BRITElab) at the Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research and is also a Senior Research Fellow in the School of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering at The University of Western Australia (UWA). He graduated with a Bachelors Degree in Electronic Engineering and a PhD from Dublin City University, Ireland, in 2001 and 2006, respectively. His PhD thesis focussed on the development of all-optical signal processing for optical communication systems: specifically studying the nonlinear polarisation rotation effect in semiconductor optical amplifiers.
From 2006-2007, he held a teaching and research position in the Electrical Engineering Department at the University of Santiago, Chile, where his research focus remained in optical communications systems. In 2008, he moved to UWA and began working in the area of biomedical optics. In 2014, he won a Tall Poppy Award for outstanding contributions to science and communication and in 2015 he was awarded the UWA Vice Chancellor’s Mid-Career Research Award.
Brendan is a member of the BioZone – an initiative aimed at convergent science to accelerate discovery and translation in biomedical and bioengineering research in Western Australia. He also leads (with Barry Doyle and Tim Sercombe) the Faculty of Engineering, Computing and Maths Bioengineering Network.
In 2016, Brendan started BRITElab and currently holds a joint-appointment between the Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research and the School of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering at UWA. His research interests include the development of wearable biomedical optics devices, intraoperative surgical techniques, optical elastography and the measurement of tissue and cell mechanics.
- W. M. Allen, L. Chin, P. Wijesinghe, R. W. Kirk, B. Latham, D. D. Sampson, C. M. Saunders, and B. F. Kennedy, “Wide-field optical coherence micro-elastography for intraoperative assessment of human breast cancer margins”, Biomedical Optics Express, accepted, August 2016.
- L. Chin, B. Latham, C. M. Saunders, D. D. Sampson, and B. F. Kennedy, “Simplifying the assessment of human breast cancer by mapping a micro-scale heterogeneity index in optical coherence elastography”, Journal of Biophotonics, accepted August 2016.
- K. M. Kennedy, L. Chin, R. A. McLaughlin, B. Latham, C. M. Saunders, D. D. Sampson and B. F. Kennedy, “Quantitative micro-elastography: imaging of tissue elasticity using compression optical coherence elastography”, Scientific Reports, vol. 5, 2015.
- B. F. Kennedy, R. A. McLaughlin, K. M. Kennedy, L. Chin, P. Wijesinghe, A. Curatolo, A. Tien, M. Ronald, B. Latham, C. M. Saunders, and D. D. Sampson, “Investigation of optical coherence micro-elastography as a method to visualize cancers in human breast tissue”, Cancer Research, vol. 75, no. 16, 2015.
- P. Wijesinghe, R. A. McLaughlin, D. D. Sampson, and B. F. Kennedy, “Parametric imaging of viscoelasticity using optical coherence elastography”, Physics in Medicine Biology, vol. 60, pp. 2293-2307, 2015.
- B. F. Kennedy, K. M. Kennedy, and D. D. Sampson, “A review of optical coherence elastography: fundamentals, techniques and prospects”, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 20, no. 2, 2014.
- K. M. Kennedy, S. Eshaghian, L. Chin, R. A. McLaughlin, D. D. Sampson and B. F. Kennedy, “Optical palpation: optical coherence tomography-based tactile imaging using a compliant sensor”, Optics Letters, vol. 39, no. 10, pp. 3014-3017, 2014.
- B. F. Kennedy, R. A. McLaughlin, K. M. Kennedy, L. Chin, A. Curatolo, A. Tien, B. Latham, C. M. Saunders, and D. D. Sampson, “Optical coherence micro-elastography: mechanical contrast imaging of tissue microstructure”, Biomedical Optics Express, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 2113-2124, 2014.
- B. F. Kennedy, S-H. Koh, R. A. McLaughlin, K. M. Kennedy, P. R. T. Munro, and D. D. Sampson, “Strain estimation in phase-sensitive optical coherence elastography,” Biomedical Optics Express., vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 1865-1879, 2012.
- B. F. Kennedy, X. Liang, S. G. Adie, D. K. Gerstmann, B. C. Quirk, S. A. Boppart, and D. D. Sampson, “In vivo three-dimensional optical coherence elastography”, Optics Express, vol. 19, No. 7, pp. 6623-6634, 2011.